Any and all photo content is property of the ECM Publishers Inc. Unauthorized use is prohibited. To purchase photos contact the Morrison County Record office at 320-632-2345.

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Worried Bout the Weather

Country/blues guru Justin Townes Earle (son of the great Steve Earle) recently released "Single Mothers," and the opening track "Worried Bout the Weather" was pretty apt to the current situation outside my non-existent office window.

As I type in this windowless prison cell that I will call my office for about two more weeks, it is maybe 50 degrees outside. It's going to be a chilly football game tomorrow night, but that's how it should be shouldn't it? Playing football in 70 degree weather feels wrong. Now 40-45 and breezy, that's better.

This past week I covered one of those 70 degree football games, as well as a swim meet, both in Milaca.

As I alluded to earlier, I will be leaving my post at the Mille Lacs County Times sometime toward the end of the month (or earlier if a suitable candidate is picked to replace me). I will be staying within the ECM family, but moving north and west to Little Falls to become the Sports Editor at the Morrison County Record. Since Little Falls is still in the Granite Ridge Conference, I will still get to see Milaca athletics, which will be nice, because I sort of fell in love with the programs in the short time that I've been here.

However, I could not pass up an opportunity to be a full-time sports reporter and editor again, and that coupled with a little closer proximity to my hometown (Albany) ultimately made the tough decision for me.

I hope to continue posting here after I move to Little Falls, but unfortunately it may be without the use of photos. Haven't had the discussion, but I have a feeling it may not continue. Either way I'll keep anyone who cares updated on my comings and goings, the music scene and sports happenings in my life.

Anyways, enough of that. I excitedly won both of my fantasy football leagues. One was a blowout and the other was in come from behind fashion. I'm pretty stoked that my draft has worked out, at least thus far.

I'm also pumped for the Big Brother season finale that is next week Wednesday, I think. Whenever it is, this week is going to be sick, with evictions on both Tuesday and Wednesday. Now that Donny has been kicked out, I have been cheering for Derrick. I really hope he wins.

Wow. OK that was a lot of info, but I'm pretty jacked up about September this year, and a lot is going on in my life. Here are a good number of football and swimming/diving shots from the past week.

Milaca junior quarterback Nathan Hass fires a pass out wide last Friday at home against Foley.

Members of the Milaca American Legion raise the flag prior to the 28-27 Milaca victory.

Hass fires one on the run. 

A wide shot of senior Nick Wolbert hauling in and turning upfield on one of his seven grabs.

Levi Hunt booms a punt from inside his own 20 yard line last Friday.

Josh Otten, a Wolves senior, goes to wrap up the Falcons ball carrier.

Milaca head coach Cory Anderson speaks to the Wolves before the game. 

Jake Merten high fives fellow senior Christian Kruse prior to last Friday's game. Kruse broke his leg in the opening game loss to Pierz. 

Another look at the Otten tackle.

Hass floats a pass to a receiver in the first half. 

Junior Madison Shores swims in a race in a dual win over Becker in Milaca last Thursday.

The Wolves swim and dive team warms up prior to last Thursday's dual.

Teammates cheer on Chloe Hendrickson in lane three during the 200 yard IM. 

Milaca senior diver Tara Airhart does a back dive during the 1-meter diving event.

Airhart hits the water expertly to earn a high score.

Shores during a freestyle event, which she took third place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment