Any and all photo content is property of the ECM Publishers Inc. Unauthorized use is prohibited. To purchase photos contact the Morrison County Record office at 320-632-2345.

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Classic

The smash "Classic" from MKTO is a straight up pop song, one of the few on the charts today. It's on the way up, currently at No. 15 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. It has a catchy hook, and overall is a pretty solid song for what it is.

I only have a couple pictures this week since the only thing I covered last week was a golf tournament, and I used most of the pictures of that in the paper.

However, I will have many more pictures next week, and I participated in two more fantasy football mock drafts in the past week, which I will share.

In the first draft I had the seventh pick of the draft and got Calvin Johnson, meaning to try out my strategy of taking a couple top-tier receivers at the top of the draft. I also got Brandon Marshall, but then I was sucked back into my strategy of taking running backs, and wound up not being able to take a reliable third receiver. Once you get past the top 20 or so receivers there is a huge gap until you get to the guys you would maybe take a flyer on as a fourth, fifth or sixth receiver.

In the next draft I made sure that I shored up three wideouts early, so that I knew for sure I had three solid, reliable guys. I believe it all worked out nearly as planned.

I had the fifth pick, so I assumed that Megatron would again fall to me, but I was wrong. Somebody must have thought the same as me. Despite several strong running back options available (Eddie Lacy, Matt Forte, Marshawn Lynch) I stuck to my guns and took who I believe is the second best receiver in AJ Green. I held tight to my strategy by taking Alshon Jeffrey at 16 in the second round. Luckily, Antonio Brown, a player I really like, was still available in the third round, so I snatched him up.
This means that I arguably have three first-tier or No. 1 wideouts on my team, but now I have to hope that I can find a couple useful or breakout running backs with my next few picks.
Fortunately for me Zac Stacy somehow dropped to round four (I took him in the second round in my first mock). With him anchoring my RB corps, I managed to snatch a boom-or-bust pick with Reggie Bush in the fifth round, which I feel is a pretty strong pick. I really think Shane Vereen can be solid, especially in PPR formats this season, so I was pretty excited to get him in round six. Normally I'd wait a little longer to take a quarterback than round seven, but Matt Ryan was available, and there were not really any strong other players that I wanted left, so he became my seventh round selection.
Hoping to load up some more running back depth in case my top three don't work out, I took old reliable, Frank Gore in round eight. I gobbled up Dennis Pitta for an upside tight end pick in round nine. I then took another lottery ticket in Miami's newest back Knowshon Moreno (not sure why he was still available in round 10). Took a flyer/upside pick in Mike Evans in round 11. I'm pretty sure I've taken him in every draft, because he seems to be available in these late rounds. He's a big, physical specimen with strong hands, and I see no reason why he can't produce right away in the NFL, but whatever, rest of the peoples loss.
I nabbed a flyer in Hakeem Nicks in round 12, and James Jones in round 13. You never know, they've had success before, and they are in new homes this year, where they should see more balls. Plus I already have three stud receivers ahead of them, so why not take a chance? Then it came down to the part in the draft where I take the obligatory kicker and defense. Today it was Blair Walsh (had to have one Viking) and the Dallas defense.
I feel like this was my best draft yet, and I really believe in this taking two (and even three in this case) receivers with the first three picks. This seems to me like the only way since receiver thins out so much in the middle rounds. I mean do you really trust taking Mike Wallace, Eric Decker in the seventh round or Emmanuel Sanders in the eighth to have as your third wideout. I certainly don't.

Anyways, I have a couple golf pictures to share, and follow me on twitter @typhoonater467.

Travis Johnson hits a chip last Thursday at the Duffer's Delight Tournament at Stones Throw Golf Course north of Milaca.

Dave Dillan celebrates after sinking a putt last Thursday in the Milaca Chamber of Commerce fundraiser.

No comments:

Post a Comment