Any and all photo content is property of the ECM Publishers Inc. Unauthorized use is prohibited. To purchase photos contact the Morrison County Record office at 320-632-2345.

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Our House

To commemorate the release of the Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young box set "1974," I named this week's blog post "Our House." It is one of their more memorable songs. CSNY had some great harmonies, and also a great clash of egos, and the album tour recordings and DVD performances show both according to reviews.

This past week I covered a good number of baseball games, as well as some July 4 celebrations. I have many, many pictures from all of them. I will have pictures of some softball, baseball and some other events for next week as well.

This past week I once again did another mock draft. I feel like the more I do, the better prepared I will be come the time to really draft. I usually only do a couple to prepare, but this year I'm really looking forward to the sweet joy and release of fantasy football, which has me preparing harder than ever. In a couple weeks I will start revealing my rankings one position per week. I have done this the past few years.

Anyways, in the mock draft this past week I had the eighth spot. I'm trying to get a feel for each spot, but the first round is kind of a crapshoot this year, so it hasn't really helped to do different spots. However, in the eighth spot in the latest mock draft I took Jimmy Graham. It was the first time that I had taken a tight end this early so far in my mocks, but my top option of Megatron was already gone at this point, and there weren't really any top-tier running back options left, so I took this as my best course of action, despite being against my strategy of taking wideouts earlier.

This turned out pretty good as I was able to nab a strong wideout in Brandon Marshall on the way back in the second round. I snatched up last year's breakout star Keenan Allen in the third round. Despite only two receivers on my roster (at this point having three has seem best) I decided to take the plunge and grab C.J. Spiller in hopes he can A) stay healthy and B) not suck like last year. In the fifth round I was happy to see Shane Vereen available, and took my second running back.

At that point I really needed a third receiver before all I'm left with are lottery tickets and flyers. I was able to get T.Y Hilton in the sixth to round out my receiver rotation. I then got what could very well be the steal of the draft in Ben Tate in the seventh. Chances are he will flame out in Cleveland, but he has looked good in the past, and now that he should be the man, you never know.

At this point I decided it was time for me to grab a passer. Though there were still a half-dozen strong options at quarterback left, I figured Andrew Luck would be a solid pick at this point. In round nine I made my obligatory Mike Evans pick. Seriously, am I totally wrong about this guy or what? He always seems to be available in round 9-11.

I rounded out my receiver corps with Riley Cooper in the 10th and Danny Amendola in the 12th. I nabbed two more running backs to fill my stable with Knowshon Moreno in the 11th and DeAngelo Williams in the 13th. I was once again able to fill my Vikings quota with Blair Walsh in the 14th, and then I took Chicago (Jared Allen's new home) in the final round to close it out.

I have to say that this was a pretty productive draft, despite going away from my mantra of nabbing three receivers in the first 3-4 rounds. It actually turned out great, considering I have a big point getter at tight end. I could be in a lot of trouble at running back if none of these guys pan out, because none are anything close to a sure thing. However, the way I see it, no running back is really a sure thing anyway, so you may as well just grab as many lottery tickets as possible, and hope you get lucky. There is always free agency and trades too.

As always, feel free to follow me on twitter @typhoonater467, and enjoy the many photos.

Princeton VFW batter Josh Swanson fouls off a pitch in a July 1 game at Mark Park in Princeton.

Hurler Allen Linder threw a no-hitter in a 1-0 win on July 1. 

Shortstop Jack Thompson fires hard to first base.

Milaca Legion left fielder Ian Carpenter fouls off a pitch during a July 1 doubleheader against North Branch in Milaca.

Blake Kiel throws from second base to get an out.

Wyatt Foss takes a big cut.

Brian Kiel was the starter in the victory in game one.

One of the muscle cars in the Bock Fourth of July parade burns out on Main St. 

Milaca-area representative Sondra Erickson, smiles to the crowd as she marches in the parade.

Arlan Koppendrayer was the first speaker of the evening at the July 4th celebration in Pease.


Dan DeKam, former principle of Community Christian School speaks at the 99th annual Pease Fourth of July festival last Friday evening.


A young lady gets a tatoo on her face at the face painting/tatoo stand.


Current pastor of Christian Reformed Church of Pease Michael Ten Haken speaks to a full crowd last Friday.


Children wait patiently for candy and goodies to be thrown their way. 

This young man looks a bit puzzled. 

Suckers were flying from all sides of this float. 

If that isn't a portrait of America, I'm not sure what is. 

This Princeton VFW batter swings at a high pitch last Monday against Milaca VFW in Milaca.

Milaca second baseman Nathan Hass tags a Princeton runner, who was called safe.

Milaca third baseman Riley Moos fires to first.

Princeton first baseman Brent Chambers has to reach high to catch a throw to first.

Hass makes a nice running catch in shallow right field. 

Hass catches the throw from home and goes down for a tag on a steal attempt.


No comments:

Post a Comment