Any and all photo content is property of the ECM Publishers Inc. Unauthorized use is prohibited. To purchase photos contact the Morrison County Record office at 320-632-2345.

Thursday, August 6, 2015

Fool in the Rain

Led Zepplin re-released their final album with Jon Bonham on the drums, 1979's "In Through the Out Door." The only charting song on the album, "Fool in the Rain," was also relevant, as it is raining cats and dogs outside as I write this piece. I love Zepplin, as most classic rock fans do, so it is a treat to re-listen to the end of the Bonham era.

Before I get to the photos from last week, I am going to again focus on Fanstasy, and this week I'll be previewing running backs.

Last season I made what I now realize was a mistake by not grabbing a strong running back in the first two (probably first round though) rounds. I decided to take a bolder strategy (taking two stud receivers and waiting to take two high-upside potential RBs). In my main league, which I finished in fourth place (narrowly losing both playoff games, but whatever) I wound up with Calvin Johnson and Brandon Marshall in the first two rounds, and my two top backs were Shane Vereen and Rashad Jennings. That probably seems like I should have been in last place, right? Most season's it probably would, and in hindsight, I likely should have went for an Eddie Lacy or Demarco Murray, who went 8th and 10th respectively. Or, I could have even drafted a Le'Veon Bell or Arian Foster, who both went in the third round. I got lucky, and hit with Emmanuel Sanders in the seventh, and even Philip Rivers in the 12th (anyone remember his run early last year?) I also took Mike Evans in the 10th (and then dropped him before his week 5 bye, but don't remind me).

Anyway, all this means, I'm not screwing around this year, and that starts with getting a running back early. I have the 10th pick, so my options will be limited, but hopefully there is a guy or two who slides to me, or I might have to resort to last year's plan again, ugh.

Without further ado, how I did on my predictions a year ago, followed by this year's rankings of Running backs:
Picked No. 1 for 2014, Matt Forte. Actually finished: 4. Not a bad pick, I said lots of receptions. He had 102.
Picked No. 2 for 2014, Adrian Peterson. Actually finished: 118. Nobody saw this coming.
Picked No. 3 for 2014, Jamaal Charles. Actually finished: 7. Missed a game, or he would have been top five.
Picked No. 4 for 2014, LeSean McCoy. Actually finished: 12. He had a really strange year.
Picked No. 5 for 2014, Arian Foster. Actually finished: 5. Spot on. Back-pat for me.
Picked No. 6 for 2014, Le'Veon Bell. Actually finished: 1. I expected the rise, but not as high as it went.
Picked No. 7 for 2014, Gio Bernard. Actually finished: 18. Not good, but missed a chunk of time, and Hill is a stud.
Picked No. 8 for 2014, CJ Spiller. Actually finished: 65. Whoops.
Picked No. 9 for 2014, Montee Ball Actually finished: 89. Haha. He is soooo bad.
Picked No. 10 for 2014, Eddie Lacy. Actually finished: 6. Meh.

The top 10 for 2015:
1. Adrian Peterson: With a year off, have to believe he is determined and fresh for a huge year.
2. Le'Veon Bell: Despite the two game suspension, he will be a stud the rest of the way.
3. Matt Forte: Love his consistency and his involvement in the passing game.
4. CJ Anderson: He is going to be mightily involved in their offense this year, and should benefit.
5. Jamaal Charles: High ceiling, but injury risk is always there.
6. Marshawn Lynch: When do his wheels fall off? Not quite yet.
7. Eddie Lacy: Should be strong in that high-powered offense.
8. Jeremy Hill: One of the best young runners.
9. DeMarco Murray: New situation, but Murray is a hard runner.
10. Justin Forsett: Has a strong Oline in front of him, and the Ravens like to run.

Here's to another year. Wide receivers next week. Enjoy a few photos:
Randall's Nick Anderson comes off the mound to make a catch in Sobieski, July 26.

Cubs shortstop Peter Herman clubs a hit.

Sobieski shortstop Colin Eckman (left) flips to Austin Weiss at second for a force out to end an inning.

Eckman awaits a ground ball to short.

Josh Wenzel rips a groundball.

Little Falls VFW pitcher Derek Poser in a game at Joe Faber Field, July 24.




No comments:

Post a Comment